Today we would be discussing about one of the many mouth watering dishes, hailing from Mexican cuisine. Thus, to cut the long story short, we are going to talk about Enchiladas with red bean sauce and its recipe along with the required ingredients. The recipe is quite tedious to make if you don’t have any store near your residential area where you can buy the flat bread sheets, other sauces which are going to be used for making the dish. Following are the number of ingredients which are used in making enchiladas along with Salsa sauce, White sauce, and stuffing.
1. Red kidney beans (Rajma)
6. Tomato puree
7. Cheese (mozzarella as well as processed cheese)
8. All purpose flour.
All the above vegetables should be finely chopped so that they can be used for the purpose of making the fillings as well. Lets kick start the preparations with cooking different sauces.
A. White sauce
White sauce will be used for the purpose of getting creamy taste to the dish. Following are the steps that needs to be followed. It will take around 15-20 minutes to prepare the white sauce.
1. Add 50 gm of butter in the pan. Once the butter melts because of the heat, add 25 gm all purpose flour and stir them until the butter is mixed well with the flour. Also,you can use ghee if the quantity of butter is not enough to make enough amount of sauce.
2. Later, slow down the heat and add 600 gm pint milk and slowly stir them for 8-10 minutes.
3. Care should be taken that lumps are not created in the sauce as its texture will not look appealing.
4. Once the desired consistency is achieved, add pinch of salt and black pepper and we keep it aside for later use.
B. Salsa Sauce
1. Heat some oil in the pan. Once it attains enough of heat, add finely chopped vegetables mentioned in the ingredients list (capsicum, carrot and onion) and stir them for a while.
2. Once they look crispy enough, add tomato puree in it and cook them at high flame until all the vegetable looks well mixed with the puree.
3. Add salt upto the taste, along with red chilly powder and chilly sauce to give a spicy as well as tangy taste to the salsa sauce.
4. The sauce will taste absolutely perfect when you can feel the crunch of the vegetables while chewing. Hence they should not be overcooked.
5. The consistency of the sauce should not be too thick and the water should be evaporated or else the flat sheet bread might become too soggy because of so many different sauces.
C. Red kidney beans sauce
Originally, baked beans are used for making these sauce. All we need to do in it,is add some hot water and boil the beans. And Tada! The sauce is ready. Seems too easy right? But unfortunately, such beans are highly rare to get in Indian grocery stores. Hence, here is the alternative for it.
1. Soak the kidney beans for 8-10 hours so that any impurity, if exists, is removed as well as the beans get soft enough to cook easily.
2. Boil them in the pressure cooker for a while. You can also use microwave oven if you don’t have any pressure cooker. All you need to do is, keep the beans along with some water in the zip bag and heat it for 10 minutes in the same way as we broil the potatoes.
3. It will be absolutely fine if they are boiled more than the requirement as eventually they are going to be turned into thick sauce. (*Wink*)
4. Once they are boiled, make thick paste of them using mixture grinder. Later add some water in a vessel and add this paste and heat it until the consistency of thick sauce is not achieved.
5. In the mean time, add pinch of salt and red chilly powder for the taste. Heat it for 10 minutes and we are ready with all our sauces in less than an hour.
Once all the sauces are ready,its time to jump towards the fillings which were are going to use in the sheets.
The process is no way different than our conventional Indian style of preparing Chinese recipe. Hence we will be going through it quickly.
1. Stir fry all the vegetables including boiled corn, capsicum, onion, carrot and any other which you like.
2. Once they are cooked well, add some tomato puree in it along with red chilly powder and salt. It will be really great if you have taco seasoning available with you or else you can opt for Maggi Magic masala.
3. Add some chilly flakes and oregano seasoning and heat it for 5 minutes. Phew! Now we are ready with all the required sauces and can head towards making flat breads.
The process is just the same as the one we use for making rotis or chapattis in India( also called as flat bread). Make the dough of the all purpose flour, add a pinch of salt and some water to bind them together. Once it is done, make thin circular flat sheets of appropriate size(which can fit into your microwave plate easily). Only care to be taken is that the sheets should not be too thin ,or else the chances of getting it soggy increases. Cook the circular sheets and we are ready with all the necessary items and its time for the assembly section.
Assembling the Variants
Step:-1 First of all, spread a bit of white sauce as well as salsa sauce on the surface of the plate so that the enchiladas do not stick with the base once cooked.
Step:-2 On the cooked flat bread, spread the white sauce, salsa sauce as well as red bean sauce and later, fill it with the vegetable filling prepared earlier. Care should be taken that the sheets don’t get too soggy as it will later break while cutting into pieces.
Step:-3 Once all the items are used, close the bread and make a roll, just like we make in the frankie.
Step:-4 Again apply all the sauces on the top and add grated cheese in the end to garnish the dish.
Step:-5 Heat it in the oven at 180F for 10-15 minutes until all the cheese from the top melts down.
Finally! The dish is ready to be eaten and the surely the taste would be worth enough to spend tedious amount of time in the kitchen. One of the photos of the final outcome of my dish is as shown above. You can serve this dish along with the cooked sauces and it tastes best when served with cold-drinks.
If you face any trouble or have encountered any issue while preparing the dish, want to give your precious suggestions, then do ping me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment in the below section. Subscribe with us on the Instagram if you liked the recipe and waiting for more such extravagant dishes. Till next time, its Pruthvish Pandya signing off. Happy Cooking!! 🙂